Thursday, December 27, 2012

On the Hunt

Hello, dear readers :)

A very happy holiday to everyone.  I've  recently been on the hunt for the perfect popover.  

When you see the mess I created, tonight,  the taste was there, but the height was not.  (Again)
Chef Gordon Ramsay would be very upset with me.  I like what he does, and think he's a brilliant chef, but he could do without the bad mouthing.  But that's him.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo
I perused Bed Bath and Beyond for popover pans. I've never known that there were special pans before.  I am using a regular large, muffin pan.  Maybe the design of the pans has a reason?  Maybe the cup size is smaller and higher and you can get them to raise much better?

Anyway, another batch, tonight,  but not with the height.  But they were wonderful, anyway.


So, tomorrow I'll be making a trip to the cooking store. Bed, Bath and Beyond is a store where I can do some serious damage.

The recipe for this confection can be used with a stuffing like crab meat, lobster,  or whatever your heart desires as a filling or when cooled and scooped out, as a dessert,  for vanilla pudding and chocolate sauce or  perhaps a French vanilla ice cream, too.  Yummy.  It's up to your imagination.
As an appetizer or as a dessert.

So for the recipe, it is as follows:

Ingredients:  2 eggs, 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, grease and flour six ounce custard cups. 
(OR a popover pan, or muffin pan)

In a medium bowl beat eggs slightly.  Beat in flour, milk and salt until just smooth, being careful not to over beat.  (Maybe I over beat this batch?)  Fill custard cups 1/2 full.  Preheat the oven first at 450 degrees.

Bake 450 degrees for 20 minutes and decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes more.  Immediately remove from cups and serve.

It was helpful to pull up a chair and look at the "oven screen" to see how they managed to raise.  It was fun, actually.  I was cheering the popovers to get with it.  LOL

We have found that "lemon curd" is a wonderful spread for the popovers.  Use your imagination.

After I get my new pan, I'll see if they will make a decent sized popover.  
They are really mmmm, mmmmm, good.

So bring in the New Year and on with the perfect popover! (Forget the calories for this one.)
Until later.....
Happy Crafting

1 comment:

  1. Are your popovers what I know as Yorkshire Puddings? I hope so, it sounds like they are (I must admit that I got excited reading your post then skipped to comments, I shall go back!) My yorkies usually come out quite well (hey they come out good, I'll blow my own trumpet!) There are a lots of secrets/tips to making a yorkie. I sue a big cast iron pan that I've had for years. Two of the biggest things to remember is to have your pan as hot as it can go, and put it into a hot oven; and the other is not to open the oven door till it's cooked as the cold air will make it not rise!

    ReplyDelete