Sunday, September 9, 2012

Happy Sunday

This morning I've finished with the tam.  My first thought was that I hated the pattern, but that's just me.  This tam was designed by Mary Rowe, the author of "Knitted Tams."  I'm glad I made a small investment in her book.  It's chock full of great ideas.  Originally, it came as a kit from Patternworks, then residing in Poughkeepsie, NY with 4 color selections.  The wool was from Jamesion Shetland Jumper 2 ply and OMG, the price they want for a skein now is "right-to-the-moon, Alice."  I'm glad that I have a small stash of this precious wool.  Each color takes on its own glow when mixed with others.  I'll have to order some more colors, eventually, and like www.schoolhousepress.com selections.  This is on my to-do list.

This tam is waiting to be blocked.


The ribbing doesn't thrill me either.  Directions stated 1" of ribbing, (I should have known better) but to me it doesn't balance well (maybe 2").  I also want to use her method of tubular cast on for the ribbing.  It gives it a nice effect.  Usually before blocking I will thread a piece of wool and weave it around the edge of the ribbing before I wet / steam it and then it cool/dry.


What I'd really like is a tam blocker.  In her book, Mary Rowe, has one to make.  It looks simple enough but didn't think wood was appropriate unless it is waterproofed.  Plexiglas might work.  Anyone have ideas where I can find one of these?

Now it's time for football ----- all -----day----- long.
Okay, back to the drawing board.

Catch you later.........

No comments:

Post a Comment